Wherever January Term takes you — to a country across the globe or a classroom right on campus — it is sure to expand your world.
One of the most successful and popular features of Hastings College’s academic program, January Term, or J-Term, allows you to immerse yourself in one course. Focus on a topic in your major field or expericence something new. January Term at Hastings College is a time for discovery, innovation and unforgettable learning experiences.
In the past, students have:
- Taken a three-week immersion course in French language and culture, including traveling to the south of France where each student spent a week living with a host family.
- Photographed the west by traveling through the landscapes of Nebraska, northern New Mexico, southern Colorado and southeastern Wyoming. This included a working with American master Eddie Soloway in a private three-day photography session at the Santa Fe Photographic Workshops.
- Participated in a Sound Class, which gave students a little science, history, math, music and art by exploring musical instruments.
- Completed Advanced Lab, which included unique experiments in physics. Work included topics in mechanics, optics, spectroscopy, nuclear excitation and modern physics not covered in the regular courses, plus a trip to the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory and the Argonne National Laboratory in Chicago.
- Traveled the state covering sporting events while learning to create game coverage, sports features and columns — experiencing first hand area sports coverage and press box facilities.
- Devised stories, fictionalized or biographical, then shaped and illustrated them as part of a comic and graphic novel story telling and illustration course taught by masters in the industry.
Where will January Term take you?
Apply to Hastings and find out!